Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thoughts on Flavia Antonescu

I read the character of Flavia at the initial read of the script and was instantly excited by the character. A subsequent, more careful reading of the play in my own time only deepened my desire to play the role, and I was happy to be told by our director that I was indeed cast as Flavia opposite Jonathan Lum as Mihai, Flavia's husband, and Terence Tan as Radu, their son.

When I was rehearsing for On North Diversion Road, young 'n' W!LD's debut production in June, one note from director Jonathan Lim that kept echoing in my head was simply this, "Don't cope. Suffer."

It is conflict, both internal and external, that lies at the core of theatre. We have to remind ourselves that our instincts as human beings often need to be put aside in the rehearsal room and onstage.

The character of Flavia gives ample opportunities to "suffer". On the surface, she is the thoroughly respectable, dignified wife and mother of the rather well-off, intellectual Antonescu family, comprising an architect, a teacher and an art student. Her family, to all appearances is doing well under the Ceausescu regime.

But privately, Flavia is just barely getting by from day to day. Even as she toes the party line and dutifully preaches state propaganda to her students, inwardly she hopes for change, for freedom. Emotionally, she is so cut off from her husband and son that she confides only in her dead grandmother.

As the play progresses, Flavia's struggle to bridge the chasm between her private ideals and her practical day-to-day reality becomes increasingly acute, and as her husband and son retreat further from her, we truly wonder how much longer Flavia can preserve even the illusion of coping.

In other words, from an actor's point of view, what a fantastic character to get to play!

My first rehearsal takes place tomorrow night, and I can't wait to plunge in.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I wish I found this blog waaay sooner. My drama department's major production this term is Mad Forest, and I've been cast as Flavia's Grandmother (and Housepainter). Because of the huge time constraints, a lot of character development has been left to my own devices, which actually have been becoming more unclear rather than clear.

I like referring to other works for inspiration but I haven't been able to locate anything other than reviews, until this. If it's possible (and assuming this message reaches anyone), I would love to learn about the development of your production's character of the grandmother, and her relationship with Flavia (which I believe the poster of this entry played). I really feel like the short scene has a great significance to Flavia's later developments and also as a major theme of the show and I really do not want to disappoint myself with the current disconnection I'm feeling with the character.

Cheers,

~Miroki Tong

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm from Mexico, I'm ending acting school, and now I'm graduating with Mad Forest, I'm 21 and I was cast as Flavia, and ironically the girl who's making my grandma is also the housepaniter. I must confess I was a little nervous and that I questioned my director's choice about the cast, but luckily I found you guys and now I feel a lot of inspiration, and I know I will take all of the juice out of Flavia and Mad Forest, thank you for let me found you.

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm from Mexico, I'm ending acting school, and now I'm graduating with Mad Forest, I'm 21 and I was cast as Flavia, and ironically the girl who's making my grandma is also the housepaniter. I must confess I was a little nervous and that I questioned my director's choice about the cast, but luckily I found you guys and now I feel a lot of inspiration, and I know I will take all of the juice out of Flavia and Mad Forest, thank you for let me found you.

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm from Mexico, I'm ending acting school, and now I'm graduating with Mad Forest, I'm 21 and I was cast as Flavia, and ironically the girl who's making my grandma is also the housepaniter. I must confess I was a little nervous and that I questioned my director's choice about the cast, but luckily I found you guys and now I feel a lot of inspiration, and I know I will take all of the juice out of Flavia and Mad Forest, thank you for let me found you.

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm from Mexico, I'm ending acting school, and now I'm graduating with Mad Forest, I'm 21 and I was cast as Flavia, and ironically the girl who's making my grandma is also the housepaniter. I must confess I was a little nervous and that I questioned my director's choice about the cast, but luckily I found you guys and now I feel a lot of inspiration, and I know I will take all of the juice out of Flavia and Mad Forest, thank you for let me found you.