Wednesday, September 19, 2007

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

It is the second week into rehearsals. Lucia is taking shape. I've given her a voice and, hopefully by next month, a distinct physicality that's not Daphne's autopilot.

The trouble is, I still can't seem to find much to respect about her. I didn't like her from the moment I first read the play and certainly have never respected her. She is a self-centred, practically amoral young twerp who just wants out, and has no problem causing hurt to her loved ones. I identify with very little in her.

The way I feel about young Lucia is obviously not good for my character journey, and Jon has suggested I find *something* to respect or admire about her. Her strength of will, perhaps - she is a very strong character, for sure. Her determination too, perhaps, which redeems her a little in the last act.

You see, people can have these admirable qualities and still be completely unlikeable leeches. It'll be a while before I come close to respecting Lucia.

Here's the irony - Lucia was one of the more popular characters that more people had requested to play, but I was cast in the role even though I hadn't requested it.

Less than three months to go...

No comments: