Thursday, September 6, 2007

Designing Mad Forest is Crazy!

I have to admit that coming up with a design for Mad Forest has not been easy (and to juggle between that, school, work, motorbike and researching for my characterS). Life is great!

Initial ideas was to come up with an image to capture what the revolution meant. Think about freedom. Think about oppression. So I was looking at some photos yar, and there was an image of a young man with the romanian flag in his right arm. His left arm was punching the air above him in a clenched fist. It's as if he is proclaiming victory for being able to free himself from something. The image causes your eyes to be directed from bottom to top of the picture and it gives you that optimistic feeling. So, i tried to draw him.


Some of the guys I showed it to, liked it. But try to imagine the image and the texts "Mad Forest" at the bottom... You know what I mean?
I don't think I would want to use this image. Besides, it is quite poorly drawn.


I realised that it is important for the visual image of "Mad Forest" to serve as the link between the title (Mad Forest) and what the play is about (revolution, freedom, oppression, violence, hope? and etc) So we discussed it after the first read and we came up with a pretty cool idea. Won't show it to you because I wanted it to be a surprise.

So back to my drawing board! Actually, that's not quite true. I don't have a drawing board. But you know what I mean.








No comments: